Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The start of our journey into unschooling

Our journey into unschooling began properly in November when me & the kids went back to England for a couple of weeks to sort out our house in England as we wanted to change letting agents and rent it out. This was the unconscious start of our deschooling journey. When we returned to Cyprus we had my parents staying with us and we never do any ‘schoolwork’ when we have family here as it was too much of a distraction for the kids and I didn’t want my mother interfering with our homeschool which she did anyway by setting the kids maths questions when I go out take Vic to work despite me telling her not to!

I have read lots of unschooling blogs and articles on unschooling and lurked on a few forums but had previously not had the courage to bite the bullet and go for it. Now I have finally settled into deschooling albeit not meaning to at first but now I can see that this is working for us and I feel much more relaxed about it.

At the moment I am just letting the kids, myself and Vic deschool and we are enjoying being together as a family. We are looking forward to Christmas and I am expecting there to be lots of video game playing on the computer and DS’s but I trust that it will settle back down again once they have had their fill of their new games.