Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thinking of coming back to unschooling

We ended up going back to more structured homeschooling as I was feeling under pressure from my parents and dh was starting to get a bit rocky and so I felt that we had to return to a structured homeschool.

I am realising that this was a mistake. I feel like I am under far more pressure now doing structured homeschooling than I ever was unschooling.

We will be moving back to England soon where I think it will be really much easier to unschool as we will have access to more resources such as library, zoos, parks etc. I plan on starting now though as we can get back to deschooling in the meantime.

My children have shown me that they do not need me to teach them. I am fortunate that my returning to structure has not quashed their love of learning. They are inquisitive about the world around them I need to quit being the teacher and facilitate their learning when required.

Wish me luck as we jump back on this merry go round.

1 comment:

Cassi said...

I just stumbled on your blog because I want to learn more about unschooling for my son. This is exactly what I'm worried about - pressure from grandparents and other outsiders to incorporate "structure" and "curriculum". I'd love to know how you've done in the past year. Have you gone back to unschooling for good? Are you still feeling pressure? Thanks, Cassi