Thursday, February 7, 2008

Had a wobbley couple of days!

I have struggled today with the fact that the kids have watched loads of tv and played their DS’s pretty constantly since Tuesday morning. It has really tested me to remain patient and trust that they will learn what they want and when they want.

I was on a real high at the end of last week and on Monday when they seemed to be learning themselves. They were really into Henry VIII and his wives and children but since Tuesday they haven’t done anymore. I am trying really hard not to interfere and wait for them to ask questions or want me to help them. I don’t think its helped that I’ve felt lousy yesterday and today and am trying to get the house tidied so maybe that’s put them off coming to me.

I think it will be easier from Sunday for the next 3 weeks as we will be back in Blackpool for 2 weeks and then my brother in law is flying back with us and staying here for a week so I will have lots to distract me from worrying if they are learning.

I think I have a lot of deschooling to do for me. I thought I was doing ok with it but sometimes it feels like its one step forward and two steps back.

One of the things I have loved about unschooling is that whilst they have been interested in Henry VIII they have learned so much in just a couple of days. They probably learned more in those few days than what they have in the 10 months of me trying to ‘teach’ them since they’ve been out of school.

I’ve been reading John Holt’s Teach Your Own whenever I feel an attack of the ‘wobbles’ and this has helped me a lot. I’ve just read chapter 7 on serious play and I think he is absolutely right about children learning through fantasy play. My two love making up games to role play together.

“We must also resist the equally great temptation to think that this part of children’s lives is less important than the parts where they are doing something “serious” – reading or writing, or doing schoolwork, or something that we want them to do – or to think that we can only allow them time for fantasy after all the important work is done, as we might give them a little piece of candy after a meal.”

I went upstairs this afternoon and they were playing in their room a game where Joshua is Henry VIII and Ellie is Anne Boleyn and he’s telling her off for having a girl and not a boy and shouting ‘Off with her head! I need a son!’

I feel much better this afternoon after hearing them playing nicely together. They haven’t watched hardly any tv today and have played with each other instead so am feeling less on tenter hooks.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Hi Emma,
It feels as though you are on a rollercoaster ride but at first it is making you dizzy and sick and then gradually you get used to it and you enjoy the ride!!!
I still have wobbles after a year but they are not the great big tottering over the edge moments and I get over them quicker. I have had one just this last few days but I think that is down to the way I have been feeling and it has been hard to be positive about anything.....
Enjoy your time on holiday.xx